This easy Mexican Lasagna Recipe is completely dairy and gluten free. It's made with tortilla shells, refried beans and beef. It's super fast to pull together, and it makes TWO casserole dishes - making it the perfect freezer meal. Make both to feed a crowd, eat one for dinner and pop one in the freezer for another night, or make it to give to a friend or new mom.
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN LASAGNA CASSEROLE
This dish features delicious, bold flavors that are SUPER satisfying for the entire family. With less than 10 ingredients, it can be made in minutes. And while we are featuring gluten free and dairy free ingredients, you can easily make this will FULL gluten and FULL dairy. It's completely up to you and your dietary needs.
Meal prepping for this freezer Mexican Lasagna Casserole is straightforward and simple - my kids love to help. The most challenging part of this dish is resisting the urge to EAT IT RIGHT AWAY! It is one of our main go-to freezer meals during those hectic nights when we get home just in time to be hangry.
If you thaw it overnight, it will cook up super fast and be ready to feed your family fast.
First, you'll brown your ground beef and chopped onion. Strain off all the grease and add your taco seasoning and refried beans. Spray two 9x13 pans with cooking spray and start layering your Mexican lasagna. Start with a layer of your beef and refriend beans mixture, followed by a layer of dairy-free cheese (we like daiya mozarella shreds) and green peppers, followed by a layer of gluten free tortillas (we recommend Mission).
Repeat until all contents are used in both dishes - your layers can be made super thick or thin - it's totally up to you.
Top the final layer with your remaining cheese, green onions and diced tomato.
TO PREPARE FOR FREEZING
Cover with plastic wrap (we like Press & Seal) to eliminate any air that could cause freezer burn.
Then cover with foil. Clearly label the top with the name of the item, cooking temperature and time. Then pop in your freezer!
When you're ready to eat your Mexican Lasagna, remove from freezer and let thaw overnight in the fridge.
Once thawed, remove the layer of plastic wrap and re-cover with tin foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until heated through.
If you don't have time to thaw in advance, that's okay! Just plan to double the cooking time.
How Long Will This Last in the Freezer?
You can enjoy this for about 6 months when properly stored.
How Do I Make It Normal? (NOT Gluten or Dairy Free?)
We get it - not everyone wants (or needs!) to be dairy or gluten free. Simply use regular ingredients instead of the dairy free or gluten free versions. You'll see both options spelled out in the recipe card.
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green peppers (2 medium green peppers)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 16 oz cans refried beans
- 2 packets taco seasoning (gluten free if desired)
- 5 cups Daiya Mozarella Shreds (or colby-jack shredded cheese if not making dairy free)
- 12 large Mission Gluten Free soft tortilla shells (or any non-gluten free soft tortilla shells)
- Tofutti dairy-free sour cream for serving (optional - or substitute for regular sour cream)
- Chop onions, green pepper, tomatoes and green onions. Set aside.
- Brown the beef and chopped onion.
- Remove from heat and strain the cooked beef.
- In large bowl, combine beef/onions with refried beans and taco seasoning.
- Spray two 9x13 pans with cooking spray.
- In both pans, add a layer of beef/been mixture, followed by a layer of cheese, a layer of green peppers and top with two soft tortillas.
- Repeat until all contents are used. Layers can be made super thick or thin depending on your preference.
- Top the final layer with your remaining cheese, the green onions, and the diced tomatoes.
PREPARE FOR FREEZING
Cover with saran wrap (we like Press and Seal). Press down into the sides of the cooking pan to ensure that no air is trapped under the wrap. This will protect your dish from freezer burn and prolong its freezer life.
Then, cover with foil. Write the name of the dish and baking instructions on the top along with the date.
Thaw overnight in the fridge. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove saran wrap and re-cover with tin foil.
Cook covered for 45 minutes.
If you don't have time to thaw, plan to double the cooking time.
Dish will stay good in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican, casserole, freezer meal, make ahead, dairy free, gluten free
Looking for More Make Ahead Freezer Casseroles?
I'm sharing 15 of my family's FAVORITE make-ahead freezer casseroles. Several can be easily modified to be made gluten free or dairy free. Click here to see them all.
Need Advice about Going Dairy Free?
My daughter and I have been dairy free for years. It's not as hard as it sounds!
Looking for more Gluten Free recipes?
I haven't eaten gluten in years and years.
THIS CASSEROLE MAKES A GREAT GIFT
This dish is perfect for gifting to friends. Click here to see all of my tips on gifting foods to friends.