- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped green peppers (2 medium green peppers)
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 16 oz cans refried beans
- 2 packets taco seasoning (gluten free if desired)
- 5 cups Daiya Mozarella Shreds (or colby-jack shredded cheese if not making dairy free)
- 12 large Mission Gluten Free soft tortilla shells (or any non-gluten free soft tortilla shells)
- Tofutti dairy-free sour cream for serving (optional - or substitute for regular sour cream)
- Chop onions, green pepper, tomatoes and green onions. Set aside.
- Brown the beef and chopped onion.
- Remove from heat and strain the cooked beef.
- In large bowl, combine beef/onions with refried beans and taco seasoning.
- Spray two 9x13 pans with cooking spray.
- In both pans, add a layer of beef/been mixture, followed by a layer of cheese, a layer of green peppers and top with two soft tortillas.
- Repeat until all contents are used. Layers can be made super thick or thin depending on your preference.
- Top the final layer with your remaining cheese, the green onions, and the diced tomatoes.
PREPARE FOR FREEZING
Cover with saran wrap (we like Press and Seal). Press down into the sides of the cooking pan to ensure that no air is trapped under the wrap. This will protect your dish from freezer burn and prolong its freezer life.
Then, cover with foil. Write the name of the dish and baking instructions on the top along with the date.
Thaw overnight in the fridge. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove saran wrap and re-cover with tin foil.
Cook covered for 45 minutes.
If you don't have time to thaw, plan to double the cooking time.
Dish will stay good in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican, casserole, freezer meal, make ahead, dairy free, gluten free