A scrumptious combination of oatmeal, raisins and chocolate chips, this recipe is a crowd-pleaser. Created by 14-year-old Dan, these oatmeal bars will be fun to make with your kids.Print
- 2 sticks butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1&½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups oatmeal (rolled oats)
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixer, cream together butter and both sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Sift together flours, salt, baking soda and cinnamon, then stir into creamed mixture. Add oatmeal, raisins and chocolate chips and stir until mixed.
- Grease shallow baking pan (about 10" x 15"). Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto pan, then spread until almost even (don't worry about making it perfect, it will even out in the oven). Sprinkle top generously with cinnamon and sugar. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown (the top will still be soft). Set on a rack and let cool in pan for at least 30 minutes, then cut into squares.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
This is just one of dozens of recipes created by kids for kids in the Small Fries Cookbook.
Learn more about this inspiring kids cookbook and grab a copy of your own right here. (All proceeds benefit Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.)
Food photography courtesy of Teri Campbell, Teri Studios / terishootsfood.com
Looking For More Great Recipes?
Follow the My Life & Recipes board on Pinterest to find more amazing recipes!