- 4 Cups Strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Shortening
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Silk Almondmilk
- Whipped Cream, if desired. (See dairy-free recipe below)
- Mix strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar. Let stand about 1 hour so strawberries will become juicy.
- Heat oven to 450.
- Cut shortening into flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder and salt, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in Silk Almondmilk until just blended.
- Place dough on lightly floured suface.
- Gently smooth into a ball.
- Knead 20 to 25 times.
- Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut with floured cookie cutter (we like to use butterflies).
- Place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Split shortcakes in half while hot.
- Fill with strawberries; replace tops.
- Top with strawberries and dairy-free whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins