This pasta chicken alfredo freezer casserole recipe has been in my family for multiple generations. With just seven ingredients, this is the perfect make ahead meal that you can store in your freezer for up to six months! I recommend doubling (or even quadrupling) the recipe to make sure your freezer is stocked for a quick and convenient weeknight meal that is comfort food at its finest. Yum!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar Alfredo sauce (16oz)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook 1 lb chicken breasts and cut into 1-inch cubes. (Here’s a great resource for different options for cooking your chicken, including instant pot, crockpot, stovetop and oven.)
- Cook penne pasta in a large pot, following the al dente instructions.
- Combine cooked pasta and chicken. Add broth, onions, minced garlic and alfredo sauce. Mix well.
- Pour half the mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Top with one cup cheese. Add the remaining pasta mixture and top with remaining cheese.
PREPARE FOR FREEZING
Cover with saran wrap (we like Press and Seal). Press down into the sides of the cooking pan to ensure that no air is trapped under the wrap. This will protect your dish from freezer burn and prolong its freezer life.
Then, cover with foil. Write the name of the dish and baking instructions on the top along with the date.
Freeze for up to six months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove saran wrap and re-cover with tin foil.
Cook covered for 20-25 minutes. Remove cover and cook 10 additional minutes.
To Cook from Frozen: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and re-cover with tin foil. Bake covered for one hour. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: comfort food, make ahead, pasta, Freezer Casserole, casserole