This easy homemade chicken noodle soup casserole can be made in the crock pot, in the instant pot or in the oven. It’s healthy, simple to pull together and can be made using shredded chicken or a rotisserie chicken picked up from the grocery store.
Nothing warms the home and soul like a robust chicken noodle soup when it becomes a CASSEROLE. This dish is sturdy enough to stand alone, or be served with a warm bread and side salad.
Trust me, it gets into all the nooks and crannies and leaves the family completely fulfilled!
- 3 Cups shredded chicken (2 – 3 chicken breasts – click here to see the easiest way to make shredded chicken.)
- 3 TBS Butter
- 2 TBS Flour
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ Cup finely chopped onion
- ½ Cup finely chopped carrots
- ½ Cup celery (or 1 tsp celery salt)
- 2 Cups Wide Egg Noodles Uncooked
- Ritz Crackers
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 TBS butter over low heat and add onion and celery.
- Sautee until onion and celery are soft.
- Add 1 TBS butter and flour, stirring continuously until it turns into a gummy paste (this is the magic).
- Add chicken broth and whisk until lumps have disappeared.
- Stir in shredded chicken and uncooked egg noodles.
- Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or long enough to bring to boil.
- Transfer to your favorite ungreased casserole dish. Top with crushed Ritz crackers and bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
You can easily make this dairy free by using your favorite dairy free butter and dairy free crackers. (Click here to see my favorite dairy free products.)
To make this gluten free, substitute for gluten free egg noodles, gluten free flour, and your favorite gluten free crackers. (Or omit the crackers altogether.)
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Comfort
Keywords: chicken noodle soup, casserole, shredded chicken, dinner, easy