This simple recipes combines fresh zucchini, squash and tomatoes to create a delicious vegetable bake gratin. Topped with breadcrumbs and cheese, it is a super tasty dish that the whole family will love. It’s easily modified to be gluten free, dairy free and/or vegan depending on what breadcrumbs and cheese you use. YUM!
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs (I use gluten free, but you can use the bread of your choice.)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese (I used dairy-free mozzarella shreds. You can use regular mozzarella or try parmesan cheese.)
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
FOR THE VEGGIE BAKE
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 4 tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- one small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Heat oven to 375°
PREPARE YOUR VEGGIES
- Cut your zucchini, squash and tomatoes into equally-sized slices. You can use a mandolin to be exact, or you can just eyeball it like I do. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Once you have everything sliced, toss it together in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Mix together.
SAUTE THE ONIONS AND GARLIC
- In a large frying pan (or dutch oven), heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add in your onions and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Stir occasionally until the onions are tender and turning brown.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Lightly coat an 8×8 baking dish with oil and spread the onions and garlic along the bottom. This will add to the overall flavor of your dish while keeping the zucchini, squash and tomatoes from getting soggy in their own juices.
CREATE YOUR VEGGIE PATTERN
- Now comes the fun part. Place the zucchini, squash and tomatoes on top of the onions. Place them in rows on their sides, alternating as you go until the dish is full.
PREPARE THE TOPPING
- Mix 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup cheese, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons parsley flakes (or finely chopped fresh parsley) and 2 teaspoons thyme (or finely chopped fresh thyme).
- Sprinkle your topping evenly over your dish.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Then uncover and bake until the veggies are nice and tender, the cheese is melted, and the breadcrumbs are lightly browned (about another 15 minutes or so).
This recipe can easily be modified based on the breadcrumbs and cheese you use to be gluten free, dairy free and/or vegan.
It can be served warm or cold.
Store, covered in the fridge and eat within one week.
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetables, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, summer, vegan, gluten free, dairy free