- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 8 mushrooms cleaned and sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz ground sausage
- 1 lb gluten free penne pasta (or regular penne pasta if gluten free not needed)
- 30 oz tomato sauce
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 cup green or red peppers, chopped
- 16 oz Daiya Mozzarella Shreds (or use regular Mozzarella cheese if dairy free is not needed)
- 6 oz pepperoni
- Cook penne pasta in large pot according to al dente instructions. Drain.
- In large saucepan heat olive oil, onions, garlic and mushrooms (don't overcook).
- Add ground sausage and cook. Drain excess grease from cooked sausage and return to pan.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, seasonings and diced roma tomatoe to cooked sausage. Mix well.
- Add pasta and mix well.
- Spray two 9x13 pans with cooking spray and add one layer of pasta mixture to each pan.
- Top with pepperoni, peppers and one cup of cheese.
- Add another layer of pasta mixture and repeat layers until all ingredients are used up.
- The final layer should be loaded with remaining cheese and pepperoni.
Prepare for Freezing
Cover with saran wrap (we like Press and Seal). Press down into the sides of the cooking pan to ensure that no air is trapped under the wrap. This will protect your dish from freezer burn and prolong its freezer life.
Then, cover with foil. Write the name of the dish and baking instructions on the top along with the date.
Thaw overnight in the fridge. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove saran wrap and re-cover with tin foil.
Cook covered for 35-40 minutes.
To Cook from Frozen: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and re-cover with tin foil. Bake covered for one hour. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Casserole, make ahead, freezer meal, pizza, gluten free, dairy free