This easy, healthy recipe is gluten free, dairy free AND perfect for the freezer. My entire family loves this Taco Rice Casserole (made without beef). It tastes delicious, and it’s a great freezer meal to make ahead and whip out for a quick dinner for our family or to feed a crowd. While this recipe gives dairy free and gluten free modifications, it does not HAVE to be dairy free or gluten free. Make it for dinner tonight or to keep your freezer stocked.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 packet gluten free taco seasoning (or use regular taco seasoning if you do not need dish to be gluten free)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 cup Tofutti dairy-free sour cream (or regular sour cream if you do not need dish to be dairy free)
- 4 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 16 oz Daiya dairy free mozarella shreds (or Mexican Style Cheese if dish doesn’t need to be dairy free)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat olive oil and brown ground turkey and chopped onions. Drain excess grease and add taco seasoning and water. Let cool.
- In large mixing bowl, combine diced tomatoes with green chilies, sour cream, rice, corn, black beans and half of the shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Add turkey mixture and mix well.
- Spray two 9×13 pans and pour half of the mixture into each pan. Cover with remaining cheese and top with chopped green onions.
PREPARE FOR FREEZING
Cover with saran wrap (we like Press and Seal). Press down into the sides of the cooking pan to ensure that no air is trapped under the wrap. This will protect your dish from freezer burn and prolong its freezer life.
Then, cover with foil. Write the name of the dish and baking instructions on the top along with the date.
Thaw overnight in the fridge. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Remove saran wrap and re-cover with tin foil.
Cook covered for 35-40 minutes.
To Cook from Frozen: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and re-cover with tin foil. Bake covered for one hour. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: freezer meal, casserole, make ahead, Mexican, dairy free, gluten free