This easy make ahead casserole is comfort food at its finest. Made with Crescent Rolls, egg noodles, shredded chicken and even frozen tater tots, it is simple, delicious and a huge crowd pleaser (whether that crowd is your family, your friends or random people at a potluck). This recipe makes two casseroles, which is perfect for stocking your freezer or feeding a small army (or both).
- 2 lbs shredded chicken breasts
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen tater tots, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
When ready to bake
- Two cans Crescent Rolls
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cook and shred 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts. (Click here for an easy hack for making shredded chicken.)
- Prepare egg noodles per al dente instructions. Strain.
- In large saucepan, heat 6 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat until melted.
- Slowly add flour a little at a time, stirring constantly with a whisk or fork. The flour will start to brown slightly. Remove from heat.
- Slowly stir in chicken bone broth and heavy cream.
- Add chopped tater tots, carrots, salt, black pepper, parlsey flakes and celery salt. Mix well.
- Finally, add shredded chicken and egg noodles. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into two greased, 9×13 pans. At this point, you can either prepare the casseroles for freezing, or bake them.
PREPARE FOR FREEZING
Cover with saran wrap (we like Press and Seal). Press down into the sides of the cooking pan to ensure that no air is trapped under the wrap. This will protect your dish from freezer burn and prolong its freezer life.
Then, cover with foil. Write the name of the dish and baking instructions on the top along with the date.
Thaw overnight in the fridge. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Remove saran wrap and re-cover with tin foil.
Cook covered for 20-25 minutes.
Remove cover and unroll crescent roll dough onto the top of the pan. Brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes – or until crescent rolls are golden brown.
To Cook from Frozen: Remove the layer of plastic wrap, re-cover with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Remove cover and unroll crescent roll dough onto the top of the pan. Brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes – or until crescent rolls are golden brown.
Dish can stay in freezer for up to 6 months.
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Casserole, comfort food, chicken, crescent rolls, freezer meal, make ahead