My Daily Cleaning Schedule
While I do my fair share of fake cleaning, I also “real” clean. In fact, I real clean almost every single day. (Try not to laugh if you’ve ever stopped by my house just before nap time. Seriously – I do clean – really, I do!)
It took me nearly a year of staying home to find a routine that works for me. I tried specifying one day for cleaning, but that’s not possible or practical with little kids to take care of. I tried just doing things as I saw they needed to get done, but I still felt like I was having to spend a lot of time cleaning – and my house always seemed to feel dirty.
Finally, I created a daily cleaning schedule, and it has made a huge difference. Now I’m able to keep my house clean (enough) without spending hours a day cleaning.
Every Single Day
- Do a load of laundry (and actually fold the laundry when it comes out of the dryer)
- Pick up toys, clutter, bedrooms (this should happen several times a day)
- Clean kitchen
- Swiffer SweeperVac the kitchen floor (See below)
- Fake Clean before Even Steven gets home from work
- Change sheets
- Clear off the dining room table, aka our dumping ground (and actually put things where they belong)
- Deal with paper clutter (and actually deal with it – make calls, pay bills, file things. Resist the urge to neatly pile.)
- Dust main floor
- Swiffer SweeperVac the main floor
- Dust bedrooms
- Vacuum bedrooms
- Vacuum stairs
- Empty upstairs trash, bathroom trash and kitchen trash (guess who helps me!?)
- Create menu for following week (this hardly ever happens)
- Create grocery list
- Vacuum main floor
- Deep clean kitchen – wipe down cabinets, shine stainless steel, scrub stove, etc
- Mop kitchen floor (which still looks amazing!)
- Clean basement
- Big decluttering projects
- Put away clean clothes (this hardly ever happens)
Notice anything missing?
I’d been doing my cleaning schedule for almost a month, and I was quite proud of how clean my house was with such a small amount of time being spent each day. I bragged to Even Steven.
And then I started noticing a smell in my bathrooms. What else is new?
I checked my schedule and realized: I forgot to clean the bathrooms.
For an entire month.
They weren’t on my schedule, so I didn’t clean them.
PS – This is my new favorite cleaning tool.
The Swiffer SweeperVac is amazing. It is a vacuum and swiffer all in one. It picks up playdoh, cheerios, orange peels… while also grabbing all your dust bunnies. I highly recommend it for everyone – especially if you have kids or dogs! I use it every single day – and I really don’t know how I ever lived without it!
This post contains affiliate links.
For more inspiring cleaning tips, be sure to follow our My Life & Cleaning board on Pinterest.