We’re hoping these family fitness ideas will help you get moving as a family, and make healthy living a habit.
1. The Let’s Move! campaign has many ideas, ranging from buying toys that encourage outdoor play to petitioning your local schools to incorporate more outdoor time.
2. The campaign also has a Let’s Move Outside page. You can search for parks, trails, playgrounds, and outdoor activities in your area.
3. Check out the Family Fitness Challenge page from Skinny MS. There are so many ways to encourage your family to be active!
4. A few more ideas are listed at this site: sign up for a “fun run” as a family; plan an activity day with your neighbors; play sports together.
5. It’s pretty hard to get outside in the cold winter months, but this advice is from Calgary, so you know it’s winter-proof! Get out there and enjoy the cold – just make sure everyone is bundled up!
6. On that note, here is a handy info-graphic that provides a few ideas for staying active in snowy conditions.
7. If you are into technology, check out these fitness-related apps that the whole family can use.
8. Using a Wii Fit will turn exercising into fun games for the whole family!
9. Make a checklist. Let everyone in the family participate in crossing off the recommended activities and foods to eat each day.
10. Nothing gets people motivated like a little competition! See who can do the most activities in one week!
If you still need more inspiration, try something like the The Family Fitness Fun Book for ideas.
Get out there and get moving together!
What are some of your favorite ways to stay active as a family?